Popular Posts!

LEVIS JEAN SHOP!

Friday, January 25, 2013

8 Things I Love about Living in Singapore!



[A shot with a doggie mascot as we walked down Orchard Road over the weekend]
One of the questions I often get from taxi drivers here in Singapore (upon hearing me speak ‘Bahasa Indonesia’ with the kids) is, ‘Oh, you’re Indonesian? How long have you been in Singapore?’
=)
Well, I have so far lived in Singapore for 12 years. Yes, TWELVE years.
Wilson and I came, worked full-time, got married, started a family, and started our business here too.


Some people (usually those who don’t live in Singapore) do wonder WHY we’ve lived here for THAT long.
They’d ask us things like, ‘Why did you come to Singapore in the first place anyway?’ and ‘What is it about Singapore that you like?’
[Note: I've lived in Jakarta for 14 years, in Perth for 9 years, and now in Singapore for 12 years]
And so I thought of listing down my top eight things about Singapore that make me feel comfortable about living here so far:
Here goes:
1. Convenient Transport System

Throughout the years, we’ve never had a car, and YET, we can conveniently travel from A to B!

I can go out and about on public transports, without my hubby, and just with Anya and Vai (since they’re babies). And I love this kind of ‘freedom’.
[Photo was taken in 2008, when the kids and I traveled on a public bus. Anya was 4yo and Vai was less than 2yo]
2. Relatively safe environment
I can walk alone, or just with the kids, to the nearby supermarket, at 10.30pm at night and NOT ‘worry’ about our safety (errr … not that we do this often =)
This, I feel, is one important factor to me as a parent of young kids, ie. I value the fact that Singapore’s crime level is low and that we can feel safe living here day to day.
(Note: It doesn’t mean we ignore ‘general precautionary measures’, ie. We do avoid going to quiet parks or alleys at night, etc)
3. Clean and Orderly
Of course this doesn’t mean there’s hardly any rubbish around. But really, I must say, Singapore IS a relatively clean and orderly city.
[Sentosa's Palawan Beach]

4. Easy access to the outdoors (eg. Parks and Beach)
As a parent, I feel I need to let my kids enjoy the outdoors too (ie. not always be confined within buildings). And here in Singapore, I can conveniently take the kids to parks and beaches!
Yes, the beaches may not be as nice as those in Australia, and the parks may not be within ‘walking distance’, BUT they’re all well-maintained and most of them are easily accessible by public transports. My kids can comfortably (and safely) run around and play together out in the open.
5. Great libraries!
Books. Lots of books. Available for all of us to borrow.
The public libraries are well-maintained (with children sections too!), and I love how they’re interconnected. This basically means, I can borrow a book from Public Library A, and return the book at Public Library B.
I can easily search and extend the deadline of my borrowed books online too (on www.pl.sg)
6. Clear legal system
If I were unfairly treated (eg. by a hospital), there’s an institution or a government body that I can go to that will ‘protect’ my personal interest.
And when something goes wrong (eg. when the law is broken), I can feel sure that the government or the police will look into the case.
7. No mosquitoes!
I know a lot about mosquito bites (since we always get LOTS of it whenever we go to Jakarta =).
So, to be able to open our windows (during the day and night!) and NOT get a bite here, … it is something which I appreciate a LOT! =)
8. Relatively affordable education
Primary School education here in Singapore is subsidised by the government, and there’re no ‘Entrance Fees’ like those required by schools in Indonesia (where parents need to pay more than S$1,000 per child to get him/her to any school)
Here in Singapore, although Permanent Residents pay MORE than Singapore citizens, the monthly school fee is still affordable.
(It costs less than S$40 per month for Singapore Permanent Residents. This fee however excludes any additional fees that may be incurred, like books, uniforms, fees to attend certain classes, etc).
[Singapore HDB flats. Photo taken with iphone
Having shared my personal list above, I must say that every country has its pros and cons.


There’s NO one perfect country to live in, I mean.

[eg. Singapore's 'kiasu culture', warm weather, 'expensive' daily cost of living, 'excessive' pressure on young children's academic achievements, high property and car prices, etc are some of the commonly 'less-liked' things about Singapore]
Well, I say … Country A may have 1, 2 and 3, … but Country B may have 4, 5 and 6 which Country A doesn’t quite have.
A particular country / environment may suit one person and yet is despised by another.
(Someone once said to us too that excessively complaining about what a particular country doesn’t have will not do any good, or change anyway!)
So.
I guess, in the end, can I say that it’s all about learning to be content in whatever situation / environment that we’re in at any particular time?
(I know. More easily said than done, huh? =)
Anyway. What say you?

Ref:blog.omy.sg

No comments:

My Blog List