Popular Posts!

LEVIS JEAN SHOP!

Monday, December 10, 2018

BURMESE PE BYOUK | SPROUTED YELLOW PEAS


However for no reason, I seem to have stocked a whole packet of this and I suddenly realized that I don’t’ have to shop for this! This yellow peas is the main ingredient of many Burmese breakfast dishes. Pe Byouk simply means Boiled Beans. To understand this, it took me many days of reading. Some of the other dishes prepared with this is ‘htamin jaw’, fried rice with ‘pe byouk’ and ‘yei nway jan’ (burmese tea). Apart from rice, it is also paired with paratha, ‘kauk nyin paung’ (black sticky rice), ‘hsi htamin’ (yellow sticky rice), ‘mont pyet talet’ (rice pancake) and even with a bowl of plain white rice.

Read this site, if you want to know what a hold this breakfast combo dish has on the people of Myanmar! 
I finally made my own version after being inspired by thisthis and this.

As I told you, I somehow don’t like how the yellow peas smell after being cooked and I have couple of dishes that I avoided just for this smell. However after cooking this, I was so surprised that the aroma was missing and I actually enjoyed this dish so much. I nailed it finally to the fact that these yellow peas gets sprouted and then boiled. Sprouting removed that smell!
I decided going forward, it is going to be sprouted yellow peas for me!
I enjoyed these boiled sauteed peas on the top of the Burmese Naan Flat-bread
Pe Byouk
How to sprout Yellow Peas
Makes: Approximately 2 – 3 cups
Soaking Time: 8 hours
Sprouting Time: 36 hours or more
Cooking Time: in Pressure cooker, 15 – 20 mins, depending on 3 -4 whistles.
For sprouting
Soak peas in a large pot with plenty of water, at least 5 to 6 inches of on top, overnight. They will expend for more than double of its size. 
Drain water in a large colander, transfer the peas to a muslin cloth and tie a thread to keep it secure. rinse in water and keep it in a vessel. Leave it this way for about 36 hours or until it starts to sprout. I soaked overnight on a Saturday, then on the Sunday morning, I tied it in a muslin cloth and left it on the counter. By Monday morning, I spotted the peas sprouts, I refrigerated and cooked it on Tuesday.
To make the Pe Byouk
Ingredients Needed:
Yellow Pea / Vatana – 1 cup
Baking Soda a small pinch (infact you can skip this)
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp 
To boil the peas
Take the sprouted peas in a pressure cooker along with a pinch of salt, sugar and a few drops of oil Pressure cook for 3 -4 whistles. 
Once the peas are cooked, remove.
To saute
Boiled yellow peas – 1 cup
Onion, sliced – 1 
Oil – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Sugar – a pinch
Water – 2 tbsp
Fried shallots with garlic, for garnishing
How to make Pe Byouk
Heat oil in a non stick, add the sliced and turmeric powder. Stir fry it till it turns light brown and soft. Add in the boiled yellow beans and saute for 3 to 5 mins. You can mash them a bit or keep them whole. Season it with salt and sugar. And then lastly, add in the water. This is to soften the beans.
Garnish with fried shallots with garlic.
Serve Pe Byouk on top of the Burmese Naan Flat-bread

No comments:

My Blog List