Popular Posts!

LEVIS JEAN SHOP!

Monday, January 1, 2001

Kiasu mums now tag along on dates and even follow kids to parties


Posted on 11 Sep 2011



Some Singaporean mothers believe that hanging out with their kids is a good way to bond with them and ensure that they are safe at the same time. But STOMPer Mummy's Boy wonders if these parents are being too over-protective.

When a 13-year-old boy was found dead recently, after running away from home, many netizens became concerned about the safety of children when they stay out late at night.

The boy, Zhang Zekai, had been playing computer games at an Internet cafe when he got into a fight with two 16-year-old boys and died after losing his balance and hit his head on the ground.

While some criticise parents for not paying more attention to their kids, some Singaporean mothers believe the old way of upbringing may not work anymore.

In a report in The New Paper today (Sep 11), four mothers share how they bond with their kids -- they tag along on their kids' dates, accompany their kids to LAN gaming centres late at night, and two of them even take their kids to a Thai disco.

Ms Anne Chua, a 48-year-old entrepreneur, has been on most of her daughter Jenevieve Woon's dates with boys since the 17-year-old started dating last December.

Jenevieve said: Sometimes we go on double dates with my brother and his girlfriend. My mum knows my boyfriend and also my brother's girlfriend well, so we don't feel weird having her around."

Madam Alice Lee and Madam Marie Lim, on the other hand, took their sons, Amos Chung and Eugene Tay, to a Thai disco at Golden Mile Complex.

Madam Lim said: "Since he (her son Eugene) has reached the legal age to go clubbing, I wanted to let him experience it."

And when 10-year-old Erwin Nair asked his mother if he could go to a LAN gaming centre at 4am, instead of saying 'No', she decided to take him there to see what the attraction was about.

She said: "My children always wanted to go out late at night. They said that things are more exciting during that time. So I decided to explore things with them at night and see for myself what is so exciting."

STOMPer Mummy's Boy, who read the article, said:

"I think what these mum are doing for their kids is really cool, but I also wonder why they have to be so kiasu.

"I can't imagine my parents tagging along on my dates. Maybe as a girl it's ok. But being a guy, it's so weird!"

No comments:

My Blog List